For those of you who have been worried about our living situation, today Rollin and I were again united into one room. We're not for sure why it took so long but in China you just never know why.
The weather is really heating up in Harbin. Our classrooms are NOT air conditioned so things get a bit hot for teachers and students alike. Fortunately we do have air conditioning in our living quarters so we can cool down to sleep.
We began a rotation of teaching culture to our students. Rollin is discussing the North American education system and I am teaching what mealtimes look like in our country. I set a table for my students just like they would find in our home in America (everything's paper or plastic, though) and made some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, served some bananas, drank some Sprite and finished things off with Oreo cookies. I was wishing I could have actually cooked them something but we have no kitchens available to us. Today I did that with my students and now I will rotate through the 7 other classes. Peanut butter, jelly, Sprite and Oreos are not the cheapest thing in our local grocery store but my students enjoyed them so much, I think it's worth it. Most had never tasted any of those things before. Those items are too expensive for most Chinese families and most would think that they wouldn't like it anyway.
They had so many questions about the etiquette of eating in an American home. They have such strict hospitality rules and couldn't imagine how American mealtimes are so relaxed by comparison.
No comments:
Post a Comment