Another interesting day in Harbin! We met an American who is presently teaching at our OLD university. I asked him about our dear friend, Mr. Wang, who was assigned to help the foreigners when we were there. We were told he had recently retired but that he could call him on his cell phone for us. He is visiting his son in south China so I don't think we'll be able to see him but we did visit together on the phone. I have a vivid memory of Mr. Wang crying as we left Harbin in 1990. It was good to reconnect with him.
Tonight we went with some of our students to one of Harbin's night market. It is a bit reminiscent of the Sandwich Fair with outdoor stands of food and people selling their wares. We were able to find a treat we enjoyed 23 years ago....a kind of corn "chip". It brought back a lot of memories.
Tomorrow we're heading to the Botanical Gardens with our students for a six hour day of picture taking. If the weather cooperates it should be fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment