It's 3:00 AM Thursday morning and I find myself wide awake. We left LA at 6:30 AM yesterday morning and arrived at Midway at 12:30 PM. My sister Lois picked us up from the airport and we got to Morris a little after 2:00 only to find a dear friend putting the finishing touches on a welcome home banner. She and others from our small group Bible study had pooled their resources and stocked our refrigerator with goodies that should last us a bit. We appreciate their kindnesses so much.
Jet lag is interesting. I'm so very tired but sleep will not come. I did doze off early last night but awoke confused as to where I was. Hopefully this is a temporary thing and I will soon get back on schedule.
As we unpacked our suitcases yesterday we unpacked so many memories. All of our students gave us gifts so that "We will never forget them." Little did they know we didn't need gifts to remember them. "Becky's" sense of humor, "Jane's" sweet nature, "Sara's" intrigue of American culture, "Mary's" quiet ways, "Lily's" obsession with her mirror...all of these things are now a part of me. I think of these people often and wonder how their day is going. Most of them are already back teaching at their schools, trying some new techniques learned from their month-long study with us. We gave them small gifts from us as well in hopes that they too will never forget us. I hope we will not be forgotten.
I know our task this summer was to share some teaching techniques with teachers from China to try out in their classroom. I sometimes wonder who learned more...them or me.
Rollin and I would love to return in the future. We would love to connect with the ones we met this summer and meet some new ones. We don't know what the future holds but we do know the One who holds the future.
What a really cool experience. I enjoyed reading through your adventure in China. You two are the right kind of people that the teachers in China should learn from and I'm glad you also learned a lot. I can't imagine how hard it would be to get to make so many new friends then have to leave. I am certain they will always remember you two! You make a positive difference in a lot of lives without even knowing it.
ReplyDelete